About us

Here you can find some basic facts from Wikipedia about the participating schools and the regions/countries they are situated in:

Havířov, Czech Republic

is a city in the Karviná District, Moravian-Silesian Region of the Czech Republic. It has 77,449 inhabitants, making it the second-largest city in the region. It is the largest town in the country without a university. Havířov lies in the historical region of Cieszyn Silesia.

Havířov was founded after World War II (thus being the youngest city in today’s Czech Republic) as a coal mining town. Havířov officially became a town in 1955. It was built on top of several villages with significant Polish populations. The local people were given apartments in the newly built city, and most of their old houses were demolished to make room for new urban buildings. The majority of the population of Havířov immigrated from other parts of Czechoslovakia, many of them from Slovakia, as migrant workers, thus substantially altering the ethnic structure of the area. Today, the original villages are administratively part of the city and mostly lie on the outskirts of urban Havířov.

Suceava, Romania

is the largest city and the seat of Suceava County, in the Bukovina region, in north-eastern Romania. The city was the capital of the Principality of Moldavia from 1388 to 1565.

Moldavian chronicler Grigore Ureche presumed the name of the city came from the Hungarian Szűcsvár, which is combined of the words szűcs (furrier, skinner) and vár (castle). This was taken over by Dimitrie Cantemir, who in his work Descriptio Moldaviae gave the very same explanation of the origin of the city’s name, however, there are neither historical nor vernacular evidences for this. According to another theory, the city bears the name of the river with the same name, that is supposed to be of Ukrainian origin.[2]

In German, the city is known as Sotschen, in Hungarian as Szucsáva, in Polish as Suczawa, in Ukrainian as Сучава, while in Yiddish as שאָץ’.

For nearly 200 years the city of Suceava was the capital of the Principality of Moldavia and the main residence of the Moldavian princes (between 1388 and 1565). The city was the capital of the lands of Stephen the Great, one of the pivotal figures in Romanian history, who died in Suceava in 1504. During the rule of Alexandru Lăpuşneanu, the seat was moved to Iaşi in 1565 and Suceava failed to become the capital again. Michael the Brave captured the city in 1600 during the Moldavian Magnate Wars as he became the ruler of Wallachia, Moldavia and Transylvania, but he was defeated the same year.

Together with the rest of Bukovina, Suceava was under the rule of the Habsburg Monarchy (later Austria-Hungary) from 1775 to 1918; the border of Habsburg domains passed just south-east of the city. At the end of World War I, it became part of Greater Romania.

During the communist period in Romania, Suceava was heavily industrialized.

Martin, Slovakia

is a city in northern Slovakia, situated on the Turiec river, between the Malá Fatra and Veľká Fatra mountains, near the city of Žilina. The population numbers approximately 61,000, which makes it the eighth largest city in Slovakia. It is the center of the Turiec region and the District of Martin.

From the second half of the 10th century until 1918, it was part of the Kingdom of Hungary. The first recorded reference to Martin in written sources is dated to 1284 under the name of Vila Sancti Martini.

Martin lies at an altitude of 395 metres (1,296 ft) above sea level and covers an area of 67.74 square kilometres (26.2 sq mi). It is located in northern Slovakia, in the Turiec Basin, just south of the confluence of the Turiec River with Váh. Mountain ranges in the proximity of the city are Lesser Fatra and Greater Fatra, more to the south are Žiar and Kremnica Mountains. The nearest major cities are Žilina, 30 kilometres (19 mi) away to the north-west, Banská Bystrica, 60 kilometres (37 mi) away to the south-east and capital Bratislava, 230 kilometres (143 mi) to the south-west (by road). Martin has 10 boroughs: Jahodníky, Ľadoveň, Stred, Sever, Košúty, Podháj, Stráne, Priekopa, Tomčany and Záturčie.

Puck, Poland

is a town in northwestern Poland with 11,350 inhabitants. It is in Gdańsk Pomerania on the south coast of the Baltic Sea (Bay of Puck). Previously in the Gdańsk Voivodeship (1975–1998), Puck has been the capital of Puck County in the Pomeranian Voivodeship since 1999.

The settlement became a marketplace and a seaport as early as the 7th century. The name, as was common during the Middle Ages, was spelled differently: in a 1277 document Putzc, 1277 Pusecz, 1288 Puczse and Putsk, 1289 Pucz. In 1309 it came under the rule of the Teutonic Order as part of Pomerelia. Puck achieved town status in 1348. Together with the rest of Royal Prussia, it joined Poland in 1454 (1466) and was the place of the local County Administration (Starostwo). The Polish kings tried to create a fleet at Danzig, but independent Hanseatic Danzig would not allow them in their territory. Ships chartered by Poland had to land at Pautzke (Puck) in 1567. Poland tried to establish a Polish Navy, gaining the use some harbors in Livonia and Finland, but a standing navy never materialized. Swedish-Lithuanian Vasa King of Poland-Lithuania Sigismund III also tried to establish a fleet in his attempts to wrest the crown of Sweden from King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, but Sigismund’s attempts were destroyed in 1628.

The first actual Polish Navy was founded at the end of World War I in 1918 with some French and British involvement.

In 1772, through the Partitions of Poland, the western Prussian town was incorporated into the Kingdom of Prussia. After the First World War I, Puck was assigned to the Second Polish Republic by the Treaty of Versailles. In 1920 Poland celebrated Poland’s Wedding to the Sea in Puck. Puck was the only Polish harbour until Gdynia was built in the 1920s and served as the main harbour of the Polish Navy until the Second World War.

Puck was bombed by Nazi Germany at 5.20am Polish time on Friday September 1, known thereafter as Grey Friday. A Luftwaffe bomber dropped a single projectile on the town, which also had an airbase.

The British and French declaration of war came two days later. That week TIME magazine in New York put a black and white picture of the Polish commander in chief, Edward Rydz-Śmigły on its cover.

After Poland was occupied by Nazi Germany in 1939, a branch of the Stutthof concentration camp existed in Puck in the years 1941 to 1944. After 1945 Puck was part of the Republic of Poland.